Thursday, September 29, 2016

Survivor Story : Gisela Cárdenas

During our last week in Italt together, my sister became worse. Hearing the advice of doctors we consulted, my mother flew my sister back to our home country, Ecuador. Unfortunately , I was forced to leave their side and go back to Miami to register my children for school. The very next day, while playing with my precious daughter, I inadvertenly felt a tiny grain on my breast. Thinking it was sand, I paid it no mind at the time. Another day later,v my mother called me to let me know that my sister's health was deteriorating, and that I needed to get to Ecuador ASAP. ​

Unbeknownst to us all, my health was deteriorating as well.


That same night, my mom called me and delivered a heartbreaking message: my sister has gone to be with the Lord above. Immediately, I purchased a 5:00am ticket to Ecuador. When I arrived, I felt an overwhelming combination of sadness and fear; sad because my beloved sister was no longer with me, and fear because I began to realize that the grain on my breast was getting considerably bigger.
After burying my little sister, my mother noticed I was distraught. Though she seemed concerned, I avoided her questions because I did not think it was important, especially while we were both grieving the loss of my sister. But eventually, I gave in and told her about the growth in my breast, and she advised me to see a doctor while we were still in Ecuador. The next morning, after multiple checkups and consultations, the doctor informed us that there was a strong possibility that I had breast cancer. My mother took me to see two other doctors, and they said the exact same thing. Seeing as there was a strong chance that I actually had breast cancer, the doctors recommended a biopsy as soon as possible.
After hearing the news about my condition, I could not help but feel bad for my grieving mother. She just buried one of her daughters, and now she had to worry about another one of her kids dying of illness. After doing everything I could to comfort her, I traveled back to Miami to see my own doctor. By the time the doctor checked me, the cancer had already spread throughout my breast at an alarming rate. I had no choice but to go through a mastectomy that removed 16 cancer glands. It was very difficult because I had no family in Miami. In less than three weeks, the breast cancer skyrocketed from Stage 0 to Stage 4. My doctor was shocked, calling it “one of the most aggressive cancers” he had ever seen.
Due to my condition and the treatments it required, I had to stay in Miami. It was extremely difficult not having much family by my side, and it was hard for me to stay positive. But God works in ways that we may never understand, but will always be aware of! When I was going through the excruciating process of dealing with breast cancer, my sister in Christ Carolyn Lewis, along with her pastor and other members of her church, served as guardian angels of the Lord on Earth. They visited me, cleaned for me, and even made home-cooked meals for me. Without a doubt, I truly believe that they were a blessing sent by God, and I do not know if I would be alive if God had not sent them to my aid. I pray that God continues to care, protect, bless, and use them at His will.
Thanks to the merciful, loving God I serve, I can stand before the world and say that I am now completely cured of cancer!

God Bless You All,

Gisela Cárdenas

No comments:

Post a Comment