Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Survivor Story: Lillymae Benjamin

The fact that you are a woman, you face a  high risk of developing breast cancer, this risk is even higher for being a black woman.  In the summer of  June 2015, while taking a shower I decided to do the regular monthly routine of breast examination – feeling for lump(s) or any form of disorder.  Although I did not expect anything out of the ordinary since I had no prior family history of breast cancer, I wwentahead and started the process of breast examination.  As I moved my fingers around towards the left side of my left breast, I felt a small mass.  I was a bit taken aback, but I kept calm and decided to make an appointment the very next day to see my doctor.

After doing his examination, my doctor agreed that I had to have a mammogram done and done as quickly as possible. By August  I was on my way doing chemotherapy.  This in itself is a journey, a difficult and treacherous one.  One that is also described as the bridge between life and death.  I got through chemotherapy with strong prayer from my family, church family, and friend.  During this time I developed a closer walk with Jesus.  My favorite scripture that held me together was and still is St. Mathew 7 verse 7-8  Ask and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.  For everyone who asketh received…  For me, this was a strong promise. We know that Jesus never goes back on his promises.

On the 25th March, I was scheduled for surgery.  It was after I came home from my doctor’s  visit that I realized that my surgery was scheduled for Good Friday – the day that Jesus was crucified (this marks a new beginning in the life of a Christian).  The surgery was a great success  - my surgeon was excited by the result of the surgery.  He said it was almost unbelievable that what was removed from my breast was a very tiny flat mass.  He then said to me that for a result like this you must have been praying. I said to him yes, my church family prayed and prayed without ceasing.  My radiation treatment was also a great success.

But I must say, through all my ups and down, and going through therapy and treatments, I never stop working.  I taught my students just as before and the result was alarming _ I had a 97% passing in the exam they took.


Whatever you do, you must always put Jesus at the forefront, allowing Him to take charge and to do what is best for you.  Remember prayer changes things.

No comments:

Post a Comment